Thursday 12 August 2010

It's Hotter than the gates of Hades...........

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the person who invented A) Fans and B) Air conditioners otherwise by now I would be a very tired, grouchy seasonal worker. This heat coupled with the humidity is KILLING me! No sign of respite or even a breeze for that matter.

No point in attempting to style my head of rebellious Greek frizz hair (thank you Yiayia) or even wear anything other than a tank top and shorts. Even then, my light linen shorts still make me feel like im wearing wool in the Sahara.
Not to mention that i take my life into my own hands every day walking down that death trap of a road. Yes people, im going to rant now and i have a right to for several reasons.
A: I can't sleep. Not because of the heat, i invested in a super fan a few weeks ago (thank god for my foresight) but thanks to drunken tourists on quad bikes at 4am stopping outside my house to shout about how drunk they are and oh man, they could never drive drunk back home, they would lose their license....Guess what, if you don't stop you will lose more than just a driving license buddy if i get my hands on you.

B: Again drunken tourists, this time using my back yard as a hook up spot, (they're too shy even when inebriated to do anything in the room their beau shares with his buddy) so i have to listen to her say (in a number of different languages) "OMG, you're like the sweetest guy ever, how romantic that we met in Santorini!". Guess what sweetheart, it may have been romantic in the bar at 1am before you got sloshed but at 4am outside my house, its just plain skanky.

C: Drunk fighting couples, admittedly it can be quite interesting to hear why they are fighting and to be honest, its mostly Greek couples (they have a flair for the dramatic) but still why would you broadcast it to the entire neighbourhood? And again, they are greek so its usually 6am as opposed to the usual 3am fights i have gotten used to.

I thank God that its only about another 10 days till the worst is over and things can go back to normal. Nice, polite tourists who make an attempt not to blindside you as you walk down the street.
Less noisy rental cars with responsible (foreign) drivers at the wheel and families who's kids know how to behave.

I went out to eat the other night with a group of friends. Not in Fira, but in Imerovigli and we had a great time. Too much wine was had and i realised only afterwards that we were probably the Loudest people in the entire town and then i felt guilty enough to apologise to the waiter for our behaviour.
Im no saint and i admit it freely so to those who were trying to relax on their hotel balconies that night....Yes it was me and my friends so i apologise profusely for any irritation caused. Not to mention, if you overheard the conversation i again should apologise for the profanity and subject matter.....definately PG13 or higher.

Rumour has it Jack Nicholson is looking to buy property here. How frickin' COOL would that be??? I can just see him walking down to the bar and getting a scotch, I think he would be the greatest neighbour EVER!

There was an altercation last night in Plateia Galli, Imerovigli between 2 taverna owners. A physical one at that and one of the guys almost had a heart attack from the stress of it.......Scary stuff but then again, it is August, we are all a little on edge.

There's been a few free concerts in the main square of Fira the last couple of nights, traditional music mostly, not my kind of thing but either way, i think a really nice idea by the Municipality/Mayor. Looking for votes Mr. Roussos??? :)

The Fraulein's mother is coming to visit on Monday. The Kiwi has a bad cold. The Seniorita had a small BBQ last night which i totally forgot about due to overheating and August fever which from what i gathered was a really nice night, nothing like the drunken debauchery of 4th July.

I would like to extend my heartfelt gratitude to TopChef for bringing me decadent dessert home almost every night this week to combat my mood swings.....my waistline may disagree but boy, that souffle is somethin'!

Events coming up:
Ifestia festival: recreation of the Volcanic eruption (fireworks display) 28th August, anywhere on the caldera side. Get a good seat in Fira, Firastefani, Imerovigli.
and U2 are coming to record their new album in Santorini, according to various gossip sites, sometime next year!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment